Take a closer look!
Birch Bark by Amy Herzog
Birch Bark was one of the special retreat designs from my first make. wear. love. sweater retreat, in 2013. It's a fitted pullover with a boat neck, 3/4 sleeves, and a graphic cable panel, worked up in a delicious hand-painted worsted yarn. This has been one of the most popular designs in my traveling sweater suitcase for years, and I'm thrilled to bring it to CustomFit.
Birch Bark is worked with hourglass waist shaping. The sleeves are slightly belled, with a cable panel that removes the bell via decreases. I strongly recommend you work this sweater in a worsted-weight yarn to retain the scale of the original sample. (Slightly lighter than worsted weight is preferable to slightly heavier.)
Birch Bark is available in hourglass and straight silhouettes. Please see our page on silhouettes for a full explaination of silhouettes in Customfit.
My sample was made from The Woolen Rabbit Frolic, a worsted-weight 100% merino that has incredible depth of color and plenty of structure for the cables.
I used the color "Autumn Aster". I liked this yarn at a gauge of 5 stitches to the inch; at that gauge, you'll need approximately 5 (5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7, 7, 8, 8, 9, 10) hanks of Frolic for a standard size 30 (32, 34, 36, 38, 40, 42, 44, 46, 48, 50, 54)'' garment.
For other gauges, or yarn substitutions, I highly recommend Hannah Fettig's excellent app Stashbot for yardage estimation.
Birch Bark uses the following design choices:
- Style: pullover
- Silhouettes: Pictured in hourglass silhouette. Also available in straight silhouette.
- Length: Medium-hip length
- Sleeves: Three-quarter-length straight sleeve
- Neck style: Wide boat neck
- Neck depth: 4"/10 cm below shoulders
- Hem edging and height: Garter Stitch, ½"/1.5 cm
- Sleeve edging and height: Garter Stitch, ½"/1.5 cm
- Neck edging and height: Garter Stitch, ½"/1.5 cm