Take a closer look!
Vendavel by Amy Herzog
Looking for a stylish update to a classic crew-neck cardigan? Try this version, with garter stitch trims. It works well for both kids and grown-ups, and in any gauge you like.
Vendavel is an average-length, long-sleeve cardigan with crew neck shaping and slim Garter stitch trims everywhere: The hem has 1.5'' (4 cm) of Garter, the sleeves 2.5'' (6.5 cm), and the button band is just 1.25'' (3 cm). Brenna is wearing this cardigan with a child's close fit.
Vendavel is a straight design, so your sweater pattern will have no waist shaping. The hem and chest/bust will be equal. You can use any measurement set to create this pattern.
We worked this sample in the soft, super-hard-wearing, very easy-care Berroco Vintage, in color 5107 "Cracked Pepper". Vintage comes in many colors and several weights, and is a great choice for this sweater.
Amy liked the Vintage at a gauge of 20 stitches and 28 rows to 4'' (10 cm).
Vendavel uses the following design choices:
- Style: cardigan
- Silhouette: Straight silhouette
- Length: Medium-hip length
- Sleeves: Full-length tapered sleeve
- Neck style: Average-width crew neck
- Neck depth: 2½"/6.5 cm below shoulders
- Hem edging and height: Garter Stitch, 1½"/4 cm
- Sleeve edging and height: Garter Stitch, 2½"/6.5 cm
- Neck edging and height: Garter Stitch, ¾"/2 cm
- Button band allowance: 1¼"/3 cm
- Button band edging and height: Garter Stitch, 1¼"/3 cm